Friday, October 1, 2010

Michael's Awesome World War II Speech

Two weeks ago, Michael gave a speech called "Remembering World War II" at the reunion of the 504th Bomb Group. There were 10 World War II veterans there with their families, as well as second generation members of the group. We had a nice dinner first, and I was privileged to sit next to Fiske Hanley, who was a prisoner of war in Japan, and his sweet wife, Jeri. He said he was kept in a 9 by 5 cell with five other men for six months. I can't even imagine what that would have been like, or what other things he suffered. He is a very kind man. He was so impressed with Michael, and after his speech he excitedly told Michael "I have a book I want you to have!" Now, really, I'm not just saying this because he is my husband--it was a wonderful speech! He had read their history and shared some information and anecdotes specific to their group. I sat there with a huge, goofy smile on my face as I watched people line up to tell him how much they enjoyed the speech, and one man even asked if he could use part of the speech for a book he is writing. I was so glad I was able to be there!
From left: Fiske Hanley, Jeri Hanley, me, and Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment