Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Royal Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas, Part 1

June 19, Sunday

Today was Father’s Day but luckily, we celebrated early. On Saturday, we took Michael to one of his favorite restaurants, Oasis Bay, and gave him some fun gifts.


We left for the airport by 8 AM. By the time we parked and got through security and got to our gate, it was 30 minutes until they were going to board. We sat in front of the loudest family ever on our flight.  The parents and the nanny couldn’t handle all four kids. We had fun commiserating over it later at dinner.  



We got our luggage and got the shuttle to the Comfort Suites North Miami airport hotel. We got to our room and got a little bit settled and then walked over to the IHOP that was about half a mile away for dinner. On the way back we stopped at the Circle K next door and got some sodas and things. I gave an FHE lesson and we talked about how with God nothing is impossible. We also said nice things about Michael and then everybody had a turn having nice things said about them. Then we went back to our room and got ready for bed.

June 20, Monday

Michael and the kids went to get breakfast and I kept getting ready. Apparently, the hotel breakfast wasn’t what they promised and it was mostly cereal and toast and things. There was a line for the elevator to get down to catch our shuttle and they asked us to be there by 10:15 AM. There were so many people there that I didn’t know what they were going to do to get us to the port, so I asked when I was checking out and they said they have a charter bus that takes us. That made a lot more sense. The shuttle driver was very upbeat and told us to leave our troubles behind and we were on vacation now. When I had called the hotel to ask about it, they said it would take 15 minutes, but it took more than half an hour. The family that sat right in front of us were already watching the safety video. I kind of thought that’s what they were doing but I wasn’t sure and I figured we would just worry about it later. I wish we had done it on the shuttle but whatever. We enjoyed our ride through the tunnel under the ocean. It was fun to pull up to the terminal and see the huge ships. There was also a Carnival one, NCL, and Disney. We were the first drop off. The porters were right there as we got off the bus ready to take our bags. I had been nervous because one of the tags that I printed was a different color than the other tags, but the porter assured me that that didn’t matter and the important thing was to have the right cabin number. We tipped both the bus driver and the porters. I was glad I already had everything tagged properly. I was nervous about leaving our luggage. It’s kind of like when you leave your luggage outside at the airport. I like to see that it’s going to the right place first, so we stood there for a few minutes watching it go down the belt and then we headed over to check in. We walked over to enter the building and saw that there were signs for different rows with the check in times, but they didn’t even ask us what our time was, they just waved us right on through. The first guy inside asked us if we had any children under 13. Actually, I think he asked if everyone in our party was over age 12 and I told him that Jonathan was only 12. He was asking if he was vaccinated and I said he was so he waved us through. I think unvaccinated children have an extra step to go through. Then the next place we went was to show our passports. She asked us how many in our party and how many cabins and split us up into three different places, but that was ridiculous because I had all of our documents. As soon as I realized it, I called the kids over to join us and she checked us all in. I had to show each passport picture one at a time and she’s took a picture with her tablet. She didn’t even ask to see the vaccination cards. I’m guessing because I had already uploaded the images of them through the app and they were accepted. As we walked away, apparently the lady said, about me, “I’m glad she was organized.” I didn’t hear it but the kids told me because they heard it and thought it was funny. Next was security. I didn’t realize we couldn’t take water in our water bottles, just like you wouldn’t be able to at the airport. You are able to take a certain number of cans or bottles of drinks per cabin. I didn’t want to do that, because it sounded like a pain because then you would have to carry it all day till you got to your stateroom. Not all day it turns out, but still. Instead, I had ordered some water cans to have them put directly into the room. They ended up being really nice, big glass bottles, not cans. Anyway, security wasn’t too bad. We didn’t have to take off our shoes or anything crazy like that. Emily and Jonathan drank their water out of their water bottles and we did just fine. Then we went up some escalators and had to have our boarding passes scanned. I had thought we were done with the documents and I forgot all about scanning the Set Sail passes. Apparently, the Set Sail pass is our boarding pass and it basically turns into our Sea Pass card onboard. They were left at our door outside our cabin and we got them when we went to our cabin for the first time. After they scanned our Set Sail passes, we were able to get a picture taken. 


Then we got on board. I was feeling so happy because there was always a part of me that thought something would fall through with this trip, like our flights would get canceled or one of us would have Covid or some crazy stuff like that. But I was just so thrilled walking on board, realizing that we made it and it all worked out. The first time I thought that was when we were standing in line for security. I knew we had made it because all of my documentation had been approved. I had some bad dreams and daydreams that I had forgotten something when we tried to check in and it ruined the whole trip. Once we got on board, they pointed us to where we needed to go for our muster drill. They scanned our Set Sail passes again and we went to see how to put on a life jacket and then we were instructed to go watch a little video. So, we found a little spot with a seating area and sat down and watched it. We looked through the daily planner to try and figure out what we wanted to do. I read multiple times that as soon as you get on board you should get your tickets for the shows that you want to see. I was so confused because the only shows that were on the list were first come, first served. There were no tickets to get.  Andrew was anxious to go eat lunch. All the kids were hungry because they didn’t get a good enough breakfast and by then it was about 12:30 PM, I think. I wanted to figure out how to get on the Voom internet I had purchased, though. Daniel was having trouble seeing all the activities because he wasn’t on the wifi. We got the internet figured out. I had bought the Voom internet plus streaming for all of us. We went to the Windjammer for lunch. As we were walking in, we realized we had no way to show that we had the drink package so that the kids could get sodas at the soda machine. We found out later that you need to get a special cup that works with the machines. Michael and the kids got those later at the Café Promenade when I was at guest services. They were brightly covered with a lid that seals and a plastic reusable straw. When we were at the Windjammer, we told them we had the soda package and they brought us sodas. I’m guessing they just do it on the honor system since most people haven’t had a chance to get their cups. If you already have your Sea Pass card, you can request the cup at the Windjammer. However, we hadn’t been to our state room yet to get the cards. We were surprised to find out that the soda cups they give you are meant to be reused. We didn’t understand that because, where do you wash them? I’m not that picky about food, but I have to say I wasn’t wild about the choices at the Windjammer. I will say it’s very kid friendly because they had hotdogs and hamburgers and we all found some things to eat. I just was expecting it to be a little bit better. They had a ton of food. A lot of it was repeated. I did enjoy the carved roast beef, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, and coconut cookie. After lunch, we went to our staterooms because there was an announcement that they were ready at 1 PM. However, only my carry-on was actually at the room so nobody had their luggage to organize. 

The cabins were fantastic and much roomier than I had imagined!

Michael and I were in a connecting room with the boys.

Emily and Jonathan were a few doors down the hall.  They made a mistake and put their beds together but they fixed them.

I can’t remember exactly when, but at one point we looked at our TV and realized that they had extremely inappropriate show options listed on the screen. We tried to set the parental controls and we assume that made it so they couldn’t buy them, but it didn’t hide them from the options so that was very frustrating. We decided to go to guest services because we had a few issues with our room. Mine and Michael’s room and Emily and Jonathan’s room both had beds together, even though I know I requested to have all of our cabins with separate beds. The beds are smaller than a typical twin bed/king bed size so it was better to have them separate for me and Michael. They also needed to unlock the door between the two connecting rooms and balconies. They also didn’t bring us the distilled water and extension cord for Michael’s CPAP. While we were waiting in the guest services line, a guy came up to us and asked if we needed help and he was able to help us with all of those things. When we got up to guest services, I had them punch our Sea pass cards so we could put them on lanyards and print room keys for Michael and Jonathan since they were switching rooms. I also asked them to put a limit on the credit card for the kids but they weren’t able to do that unless they disconnected the kids from my account then did it and then put them back on my account so we said forget it. I also told them that they forgot to put the passes for the excursion for the VIP dolphin swim in the room for Emily and Michael. Finally, I asked about my beach bed that was taken away and they said that I would need to go talk to the shore excursion desk. She called them for me, but they weren’t able to help me. After that, we walked over to the shore excursion desk and the guy there told me the same thing. I thought I’d at least try again. He couldn’t give me a reason as to why mine were canceled and not someone else’s and why they couldn’t leave me with one instead of taking away both. I asked if they ever have cancellations and he said he would put me on the waiting list in case they do, so at least that’s something. Then we walked down the Royal Promenade. 

While I was waiting to talk to the shore excursion guy, the kids and Michael went across to Café Promenade to ask about the drink package. They all got their cups so they can use the soda machines around the ship. After I was done talking to shore excursions, we walked down to use one of the Coca-Cola machines and they all got their drinks. Then we just started walking around the ship. 


We walked around for a while. We saw the pools and went to deck 13 and saw the Flow Rider, basketball court, and rock-climbing wall. Michael, Daniel, and Andrew all played basketball and we held their drinks for them. Emily joined them eventually. She joined Michael’s team and they scored against the boys. 

After basketball, we went back to the rooms to get our swimming suits on. It was fun to watch the Carnival Conquest ship sail away and wave to them. I wasn’t going to get my suit on because I hadn’t packed it in my backpack today, but as we were standing there getting ready, they brought me my suitcase so that worked out. I thought it was kind of funny that the only two suitcases we had at that point were mine. It’s almost as if the porter knew I was a nervous mom and would need mine first, ha ha. We met the room steward and he said he would do all the things we had asked to be done. Then we headed to the pools. I had read multiple times that you should take your swimming suit when you board the cruise because you’ll be without your suitcases for many hours and then that way you can still go to the pool and swim while you wait for your bags. However, what nobody tells you, and I wish I had thought of, is that you should also make sure you’ve got flip-flops or sandals and some kind of T-shirt or cover-up. Michael just had his polo shirt so he had to wear that and he and all the boys had to wear their tennis shoes to the pool. We found the towel station and checked out towels for everyone. I couldn’t find a chair in the shade by the pool, so we went into the adults only area, which is actually for guests 16 and up, and found some nice chairs there for me to sit in while everyone went to play. I had offered to watch everyone’s backpacks and phones and everything because I didn’t want to get in the pool. Michael went in the hot tub in the adults area near me. 

The other kids went on the waterslides and then Andrew joined Michael and the others played in the main pool and hot tub. We were supposed to sail at 4:30 PM and we ended up leaving at 4:50 PM. I watched from the window. 


Michael left the hot tub and joined the other kids for a little bit and then it was just Andrew in the hot tub. I noticed three little kids in the hot tub who were probably between the ages of 10 and 13. I was really annoyed that no one was telling them they needed to get out, and then a few minutes later one of the workers did tell them to get out so I was glad that they keep an eye on that. When the kids finished swimming, we turned in our towels and went back up to the room. All of our luggage was there and the steward had already separated our beds and was in the process of doing Emily and Jonathan’s beds. We quickly got dressed for dinner and went to the main dining room. We tried level five but that was the wrong one so we had to go down to level four. I realized later when I was looking at the Sea Pass that it actually says very clearly on there that our dining is at 6 PM on deck four and it even said our table number. Our table was in the back right next to the stairs. It was nice and secluded there. The kids were all pretty happy with the choices for dinner. I ordered two appetizers, the chicken Waldorf salad and a crabcake. I had the prime rib for dinner and the warm hazelnut chocolate cake for dessert. It was really good but I was stuffed. Three of the kids got chocolate cake, Jonathan got the fruit plate, and Michael got a blueberry and pear cobbler that was sugar-free. While we were eating, I saw photographer walking around and I was pretty excited to have her take our picture. However, she went to all four of the tables around us and completely skipped us. A manager-type guy came to our table and asked how everything was and I mentioned that I wish that photographer had come to our table so he contacted somebody and she eventually came. She took our picture as a group and also individually. She also got a picture of just the kids and just me and Michael so that was nice. 

Daniel and Andrew
Emily and Jonathan's pictures were better the next night.


Dessert!
Andrew wanted to leave to go work out but I made him wait for the pictures first. Actually, he offered to stay around until the pictures were taken because he knew it was important to me but asked if he could go even though the desert hadn’t come yet and we let him go. After dinner, we walked straight over to the Schooner bar because they were having a Queen Name That Tune game. We were pretty confident we would do well, but we actually only got 10 out of the 20 right. They had some tough songs in there that I hadn’t heard before. We came back to the rooms because Emily and Jonathan wanted to go watch the movie Eternals on the pool deck at 9:30 PM. They went off to do that. Andrew came back from the gym and then he and Daniel went to go get pizza at Sorrento’s. Then they came back and Andrew changed his clothes and they went to the teen area.  It’s called Social 033. At first, they weren’t too keen on the idea, but eventually they warmed up to it and I’m glad they went together. Michael and I relaxed for a bit and then he decided he wanted to go check on the kids and walk around. I told him that was fine because I needed some time to just sit and relax and rest. The boys had a good time at Social 033. They played pool, and then some other kids came and asked to play with them. Apparently, Andrew played with some boy against two girls. Daniel watched and heckled Andrew. They lost the first game because they put the eight ball in the pocket at the wrong time. Then the girls did the same thing two games in a row so the boys won. Andrew and Daniel also tried to play foosball but they lost the ball and gave up and came back to the room.


June 21, Tuesday

We stayed up way too late last night. It was after midnight when Andrew came to tell us that his toilet wouldn’t flush. We told them to just use ours in the middle of the night if they needed to. As we were getting ready for bed, we realized ours didn’t flush either. So, we figured we better call somebody. We called the housekeeping number and asked for the stateroom maintenance people. She said she would send somebody right away so I figured that was great. Next thing we know, a few minutes later, we heard the toilet flush. Then we heard the toilet flush in the boys’ room. I guess they had fixed it remotely, which was kind of weird but also very cool.  We called back and they said since they can fix it without coming to our room they did and it’s been working fine ever since. Later today, while I was standing in the hallway waiting for the boys, I realized that they have access panels in the hallway and that’s probably how they fixed it because the toilet backs up to the hallway. I think it was almost 1:30 AM when I finally fell asleep. Michael and the kids went to breakfast at the Windjammer. 

Morning view from our balcony

When they came back, the kids were talking about how they really wanted to go on the rock-climbing wall so they did that. I wasn’t ready otherwise I would’ve gone and I asked them to take pictures and they did. 

By a little after noon, Michael was anxious to go back to the pool. Andrew had gone to work out. The rest of us went to the pool and I found another chair to sit in. This time it was just one chair but it was close by where I had sat yesterday. The pools were so crowded, they gave up after a while. Even the line for the waterslides was too long. So, we quickly turned our towels back in and decided to go play mini golf.  We had fun playing mini golf, but the course wasn’t great. There were no walls on the outside of the greens so if you hit the ball too hard it would go into another course. Michael, Andrew, and Jonathan went first and then Emily, Daniel, and I were together. We kept track of our score but the other guys didn’t. I won by a few strokes. 


After that, we went back to the room. Emily wanted to shower. Michael and the boys changed out of their swim trunks so we could go to lunch. I really wanted to sit by the window overlooking the sea and I finally found a table. It was actually pretty close to where we ate yesterday. They had pork schnitzel so I was pretty excited about that. I went off to go to guest services to ask a few questions and Michael and the kids went up to the arcade to play air hockey. I asked them at gift services if I could redistribute the onboard credit and they said they couldn’t. I also asked if they had an escape room because I had read that they did on Freedom of the Seas but maybe they quit doing it because of Covid. I don’t know. Somebody was wrong. When I asked the guy at guest services about it, he looked at me like I was crazy. I asked about the photo package and he told me where I needed to go about that. I also found out that for Coco Cay we can just get the towels as we get off the ship. I went to the photo area because I bought too many photo packages. They had told me I needed a photo package for each cabin, but they have just been asking for my cabin number and putting them all on the same cabin number so I don’t understand why they told me that. He said I would need to come back later to talk to the manager about that issue.  I lost my Wi-Fi for a little bit. Luckily, I was able to receive a FaceTime call from Michael while I was at the photo area and we all agreed to meet back at the room. I asked the kids to all meet over in Daniel and Andrew’s cabin. We read scriptures. We decided we were going to leave at 5:30 PM to get pictures and go to dinner. It was Dress Your Best night so Emily and I wore dresses and the boys and Michael wore button-down shirts and slacks. We got pictures in a couple different spots and then we went right into dinner.  

"Dress Your Best" night



I really enjoyed dinner again, except I had been looking forward to the lemon butter cod and it was actually swordfish which is kind of like fish chicken. I didn’t like it very much but it was OK. I loved the potatoes and carrots that came with it. I got pumpkin soup as the starter and it was just OK. Jonathan was very proud of himself that he knew he needed to get a starter this time. Andrew and Daniel both got the beef carpaccio starter and neither of them seemed really thrilled with it, but Andrew kind of liked it. Michael got the pumpkin soup, as well. Jonathan got the shrimp cocktail. Emily got the calamari and I guess they had extra so they brought her another plate and she shared it. Andrew and Jonathan ordered the steak again. Emily got the seafood linguine alfredo. Daniel got beef tenderloin. Michael couldn’t decide between the portobello mushroom and the spaghetti bolognese so she told him she would bring both. I had a few bites of the spaghetti and it was OK. Not enough sauce for me, personally. I got cheesecake for dessert and it was wonderful. So did Andrew. Jonathan, Emily, and Daniel all got the chocolate cake and Michael got the carrot cake which was also really good. 

Yummy appetizers!

Jonathan and Emily



After dinner, there was one more photo op and everybody obliged. Then we went back to the room and changed our clothes into more casual clothes and went to the Finish the Lyrics game show. 

It was fun to see this cute towel animal when we came back to our room.

I wish I had known what it was going to be like because we were running late and I was waiting for the boys while Michael, Emily, and Jonathan all went to go get soda and meet us there. Unfortunately, I missed the chance to be a contestant on the game show. Apparently, I could’ve done it because they didn’t have enough people at first. Oh well. It was fun to watch. Emily and I would’ve both done really well. I don’t know why she didn’t volunteer. She just got shy in the moment and regretted it later. We had fun watching, anyway. After that, we planned to go to the Flow Rider because Andrew really wanted to ride it. He went all the way back to change into his swim trunks and we met up at the Flow Rider but the line was too long and he didn’t want to wait. So instead, we headed back to the rooms. I decided to go back down to the photo gallery to figure out what to do about the photo packages I had bought. He basically said that I shouldn’t have him refund one of the packages now because if I change my mind later then I’d have to pay full price. But he said they would still give me a refund on the last night if I didn’t need all those pictures so that works out great. He also told me about some upcoming opportunities to get the pictures and where the photographers will be at Coco Cay. I came back to the room and the boys had gone to their Social 033 club. Emily and Jonathan were watching a movie in their cabin. Michael was out on the balcony doing some reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment