Monday, June 19, 2023

Europe Trip Part 2: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

June 19, Monday

Our goal had been to leave the ship at 9:15 AM this morning, but it was more like 9:30 AM. I was concerned because I had heard that the line to get a taxi takes an hour, and it turns out they were right. I think we stood in line for at least 45 minutes. The first thing our driver told us was that there's no taxi stand to get back to the ship from the resort but we weren't too concerned about it because we figured that the resort could call us a taxi and that's exactly what ended up happening. I think by the time we got there, it was about 10:30 AM. I had tried to call the resort, Balneario Illetas, to tell them we'd be running late but nobody answered and the system hung up on me so I figured it would be fine since we had paid in advance. It was. They led us to two groups of four sun beds. I thought the bottled water was complementary but I was wrong. However, they had nice beach towels for each of us and they brought us each a welcome drink, which was a weird lemonade with specs of something in it, I think maybe it was mint. We enjoyed a couple of hours on the beach. We were sitting right next to the little beach shop with ladies’ dresses and jewelry and things. Michael spent most of the time in the water. Emily and Daniel went snorkeling with him. Jonny and Andrew really wanted to build a sandcastle but never got the chance because we didn't have anything to make it with. If I'd been thinking, I could've given them the Rubbermaid containers I had but I didn't think of it. I enjoyed laying on the chair and getting caught up on some chores on my phone. I read scriptures and did Duolingo. I canceled the hotel in Paris that we don't need. Things like that.





We drank lots of water at lunch. Our lunch reservation was for 12:30 PM, so a few minutes before that, we started gathering all of our things. I went into the little shop really quickly and I couldn't resist buying a pretty necklace. The restaurant was very nice. Our table was right by the beach so that was wonderful. I chose poorly on my order. Jonny’s grilled beef tenderloin was amazing. I got red shrimp. It was the whole shrimp with the head and everything which was gross because there was a nasty brown liquid that came from it. It wasn't even peeled, I had to peel myself. Michael got lobster with fried eggs, Daniel got a burger, Andrew got a club sandwich, Nathaniel got grilled calamari, and Emily got a chicken skewer that was enormous and on this big, huge hook. She was shocked when it came and it was pretty cute. Audrey wasn't feeling well so she didn't order anything and figured she could eat at the buffet when she got back to the ship. We wanted to leave the resort by 2 PM to head back to the ship. Onboard time was 3:30 PM. 


Balneario Illetas resort

It was a little after 1:30 PM when we asked them to call two taxis for us. We went out there and we didn't have to wait very long. There was another family that had been waiting an hour and so they took the next one and then the other two came pretty quickly after that. They dropped us off at the ship and we got on pretty quickly. There was a long line in security but it moved fast.

A model of the amazing Symphony of the Seas! 

It was a little after 1:30 PM when we asked them to call two taxis for us. We went out there and we didn't have to wait very long. There was another family that had been waiting an hour and so they took the next one and then the other two came pretty quickly after that. They dropped us off at the ship and we got on pretty quickly. There was a long line in security but it moved fast. 



When we left the pool, I went upstairs to get ready for formal night. We were all wearing black and white. The boys wore black ties and Audrey and Emily and I wore black dresses. We met in our room and then went and got some pictures taken.  We went to about four different backdrops, including the one on the stairs. For some reason, the photographers had the wrong name attached to the cabin. I figured I would have to go to guest services to take care of that later.







We went to dinner and everything was very good. I couldn't resist getting the roasted beef tenderloin since my lunch had been such a disappointment and I wished I had ordered that. Michael, Jonny, Andrew, Daniel, and I all got the roasted beef tenderloin and Emily, Audrey, and Nathaniel all got the salmon so we thought that was pretty funny. Andrew almost fell asleep at dinner again, right before the dessert came. We told him he could go back to his stateroom to get some sleep. The rest of us finished our dessert, ate his crème brûlée, and went back to the rooms to change out of our formal clothes so we could go to the 1977 ice-skating show. Nathaniel and Audrey needed some rest so they didn’t join us. I made Jonny go to the show and he was falling asleep the whole time. The show is kind of weird and started off slow, but I enjoyed it. The ice skaters fell down quite a few times. We were thinking that could be because the ship was moving so much. It was pretty windy outside and the ship had been rocking, which is surprising considering how large it is. 

After the show, Michael walked with Jonny back to the stateroom. I needed to go to guest services and Emily and Daniel came with me. I verified that they have our name on the reservation for the stateroom correctly and they assured me they did and that I would probably need to talk to the photographers about it. I also asked them how we get how we can meet a private driver tomorrow and they said we would have to take the shuttle. (That ended up being bad advice, but it worked out.) Daniel headed back and Emily and I went to the photography studio to make sure that we would be able to get all the pictures. Sure enough, when I looked up my cabin number, none of the pictures were in there. So, the photography manager had to make a call and said they would be corrected by tomorrow. I sure hope so because we had a lot of pictures taken so far already. We came back to our rooms and I went in with Emily to check on Jonny. Michael and I are so tired. Andrew is still asleep and Jonny was in bed for the night. Emily and Daniel considered going somewhere but then they decided against it. I've just been in our room getting organized and getting ready for bed.

Here is the beach resort we went to:
https://balnearioilletas.com/en/beach-club-mallorca/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment