Monday, June 26, 2023

Europe Trip Part 8: Day One in Paris, Laundry and Louvre

June 26, Monday

Today was a long day. I bought the tickets for the Louvre months ago and we finally got to experience it. I tried to get up early enough to be ready by 9 AM but it was more like 9:30 AM. I was disappointed that the shower never got hot. We had to get the boys in gear and get their clothes together so we could go to the laundromat. The one I had found was pretty close but when we got there it didn't exist. We found a guy on the street to help us and he found out that it was closed. So that was a bust. We quickly found another one and walked a little further to that. It was small but we somehow got it done. There were a couple people in there from Maine doing the same thing we were. There was another guy in there who helped us quite a bit to figure out how to even start the machines. We started two loads of whites and four loads of colors and then Michael and the kids went to McDonald's to get food. Michael wasn't very impressed with the McDonald's. I stayed behind and read my scriptures and did my Duolingo and other things like that while I waited for the laundry. Some guy shoved two huge comforters in one of the three dryers and hogged it for an hour and 40 minutes so that was frustrating. By the time everybody came back from McDonald's, the whites were already dry and I was trying to get the colors in the dryer. They brought me an Egg McMuffin and a doughnut so that was nice. We finished drying the colors and then everybody quickly got everything folded and put it back into the suitcases. That's what we used to transport everything. Then we walked back to the hotel.



We got ready as quickly as we could for the Louvre because by then it was almost 1 PM and our tickets were for 1 PM. I was a little afraid that they would fuss about that, but I also figured that as long as it was after 1 PM they would still take us and that was the case. We took an Uber to the Louvre. 

I knew I wanted to go to the Carousel entrance but I couldn't figure out exactly where it was. I had watched an Instagram video about it but she didn't explain it very well in the video. I still don't know what she was trying to describe because that's not how we went. We found an entrance to the Carousel which was like a mall so we had to go down a couple levels and walk past a bunch of shops and then we were able to get to the lower entrance. That worked out well because the line was pretty short, compared to all the lines that were outside at the main entrance. It was still a surprisingly long line for already having your ticket, but I think that was just to get through security. 


The women's bathrooms were impossible because the lines were so long. The boys all got to go to the bathroom but Emily and I gave up and we went into the exhibitions. The line to scan your ticket was pretty long but we figured out that if you go to the side, you can do the same thing there and there were only a few people in front of us so that worked out perfectly. The Louvre is a big maze with no signs to guide you. They had signs for things like the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo, but there weren't enough of them so you kind of got lost in between. I didn't have a map because you were supposed to get that at the information desk downstairs before you got your ticket scanned so I was lost most of the time. It was so cool, though. It was totally worth it. There were so many cool sculptures and paintings and so many awesome things to see. I think if you had a month, you still probably couldn't see everything. It was pretty overwhelming but also amazing. 


There was a line to get in front of the Mona Lisa to take a picture and then when you did, they told you to take one picture and move on but nobody paid attention to that. I got a few pictures but none with us in them. 


After that, we took some pictures of the Wedding at Cana which was a cool one in that same room. 


We decided to let everyone go off on their own if they wanted to and came up with a game plan of texting each other in an hour and then if anybody got lost and couldn't reach each other to just go to the Mona Lisa. Luckily, we never had to do that but I was pretty nervous because the Wi-Fi was spotty at best. We walked around for a little while and then I decided I wanted to see the Venus de Milo. As much as I was looking forward to this visit to the Louvre, I didn't prepare very well. I didn't even really know what famous works of art were there besides the Mona Lisa. 






Winged Victory of Samothrace

It took us forever to find the Venus de Milo. There were signs directing you but it was still very confusing and easy to turn the wrong way or go down the wrong stairs. The boys stuck with me and Michael, and Emily went off by herself. Jonny wanted to go with her but she really wanted to be alone. She had fun exploring on her own. In the end, we all met up at the Venus de Milo. She had been searching for it, as well.  



She told us about a big Saint Peter’s Basilica painting that we were able to find and I also wanted to see the Napoleon paintings, the one about his coronation. Emily knew where that was and took us to it and there were quite a few famous ones over there. 






The Coronation of Napoleon



Diana of Versailles


After that, it was almost 5 PM and I was pretty tired. My sides were hurting me and Andrew really wanted to go get a soda and Jonny was bored, so I took the two of them and we went back out to where the restrooms were and waited for everybody else. Michael and Daniel and Emily all went to look at the Egyptian exhibit. The Louvre used to be a castle and so they saw remnants of the castle down in the basement. Once it was close enough to closing time, I let Andrew go get his soda because once he left there, he wasn't able to come back. Shortly after he left, Michael and the other two joined us so that worked out well. 


We stopped at a little souvenir shop but I couldn't find a magnet so we kept going. I really wanted to go to a patisserie shop and there were three beautiful ones there, but then I figured we may as well try to go to dinner early. 





It was around 6 PM by that time. We were easily able to get to CafĂ© Marly. As you're standing there looking at the pyramids, it's right there on the left. She said our table wasn't ready yet but it would be outside with a view of the Louvre so we hung out for about 20 minutes and took a couple more pictures and waited for our reservation at 6:30 PM. 






We had a beautiful spot, overlooking the pyramid. The only problem was that people who are sitting outside at a restaurant are allowed to smoke so there were people smoking all around us. Then there was a table next to us with about eight people but it was built for four and they were all smoking and talking loudly and the smoke was making me sick. They were being so obnoxious. I sat there thinking that I had made a terrible mistake because I couldn’t stand the smoke and there was nothing on the menu that Daniel or Jonny wanted. Thankfully, the people at the next table left and Daniel and Jonny ended up ordering the chicken so that was fine. Andrew got the spicy rigatoni, Emily and I got the seabass, and Michael and the boys got a special chicken with curry and mango chutney. It was basically a chicken quarter. It was all good food but there was hardly any of it and we were all still kind of hungry afterwards. 





The view from our table


We took a few more pictures and then we tried to go back to the patisserie shops but the Carousel mall area had already closed so we found an Uber to take us back to our hotel. 










We waited for the Uber at CafĂ© de la Comedie. This was taken from our Uber meeting spot. 

I was trying to ask him if he could drop us off at a patisserie or if there was any he recommended, but I don't think he understood what I was saying so I said just take us to the hotel. 

I told everyone that we shouldn't go into the hotel because if we did we would never leave so we walked around the corner and down a little bit trying to find a place with some pastries. There was a little mall type area and we went in there but we didn't find anything except a Starbucks. We came back out of that and Emily found a place that wasn't far so we walked a little further and went to the to a place that sold macarons. It was a L'Occitane store and the macaron shop inside was called Pierre HermĂ©. We got a box of eight macarons. They were not cheap. It was €26 for eight of them. And they were tiny. Each of us chose our own and then we got two extra which they said were their bestsellers. The bestsellers were disgusting. Like really bad. I tried the caramel one and it was good, though. All the other shops we passed were closed or closing up so that's all we could get so we went back to the hotel. 

The fancy bag and metal box for our mediocre, overpriced macarons.

 
We came up to the room and read scriptures and had prayer and then divvied out all of the laundry from earlier. Michael and the boys said good night to us and went back to their room and we relaxed for a little while and then got ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment