Sunday, August 5, 2012

Washington, DC Trip, Part 3

To make our trip even better, my dad and nephew came to Washington, DC to spend a few days with us.  They got there late Wednesday night and stayed in the hotel right next door.  While they were here, we rode the Metro around town and Michael took the van to do his research.  On Thursday, we went to the National Archives (the one in the mall, not the one Michael went to in College Park) and the Museum of Natural History.  At the National Archives we were excited to see the original Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights.  In the rotunda where you view these documents, it is pretty quiet as everyone is walking around reading the information and looking at the documents.  Jonathan decided to use that time to find his echo.  He kept yelling and I tried to get him to stop but he wouldn't, and finally a guard came over and said "Shhh" to him.  I was so embarrassed.  All of the people waiting for their turn were staring at us and chuckling.  Jonny was quiet for a short moment, then he started yelling again.  Luckily, I had seen everything, so I walked out of the rotunda with him while everyone else finished looking.  After our obligatory trip to the gift shop, we walked over to the Regan building for lunch.  Next, we went to the Museum of Natural History.  Actually, we had gone there before lunch but when we saw their prices and realized that we would be spending a small fortune on sandwiches that the kids may or may not eat, we decided it was worth the walk.  The Museum of Natural History was really cool.  Nathaniel was most excited about the Titanaboa exhibit.  After the museum, we took the Metro back.  We had to take a hotel shuttle to and from the Metro station, but it ended up being pretty convenient and much easier than driving downtown. 

Here are Papa and Emily by a map at the mall.  Emily was always carrying her map around and knew exactly where we were, where we were going, and what Metro station we needed. 

National Archives
My nephew TJ is the one in the blue shirt next to Nathaniel



Jonny was a pretty good trooper.  He had a hard time around naptime, but in general he was a good little boy.  Most days, he would just fall asleep in his stroller for an hour or so in the afternoon.

Case in point: while I took this picture of the kids being silly, Jonathan was napping peacefully in his stroller

Andrew, striking a pose

No comments:

Post a Comment